Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Future of Cool

One of the greatest days of the year is undoubtedly NBA Draft Day. It is upon us and it will never fail to disappoint. Some of my favorite things about the draft are the suits of the players and when players absolutely do not answer the question asked to them. I am writing just before the draft and already Derrick Rose was asked if the Chicago Bulls told him he was getting picked as reported and he gave the same answer that he was excited to possibly in Chicago. The NBA Draft is a showcase of future coolness to grace the NBA and set trends for fans across the globe. Instead of providing a mock draft or anything regular like that I will provide my thoughts of the five coolest players in the lottery. They are the future of cool and it starts now with the suits they are rocking, their reactions to getting drafted, and the answers they give in interviews after being selected. I am so excited for this draft, the Chicago Bulls are on the clock, but I will provide my five coolest players ranked from coolest to cool of the lottery players after pick fourteen is announced.

Ovinton J’Anthony Mayo: O.J. was absolutely killin’ at the NBA Draft with by far the best style with everything absolutely on point from his brown and cream colored shoes to his beard and glasses. A perfect suit and vest combo, matched with his sick dress shirt and tie, much love Ovinton. O.J. tops the cool chart with his style and game combo. I loved O.J. at USC where he clearly accepted tons of cash because he always had the freshest kicks and now he has a couple designer suits. He very easily could be the best player in the draft if he improves his shot selection, but whatever it is cool to fire away from long range at anytime I guess. He is athletic and has the potential to be a sick point guard and defender. I hope he stays with the Timberwolves because I think it is funny how cold and miserable he might be, but also I can’t wait to get a Mayo jersey because the T-Wolves jersey is fresh. They have some great young talent with Corey Brewer, Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Rashad McCants, Craig Smith, and Michael Doleac (jkjkjkjk).

Michael Beasley: B-Easy went number two in the draft to the Miami Heat and was looking fresh. His Kansas State purple tie was on point and he had a nice suit and dress shirt. Every fan loves a player that has “character issues” and I loved hearing about all of them that could potentially have caused him to slip past number two. He went to six high schools in five different states, spray painted graffiti on his principal’s car, and was a notorious prankster at Kansas State with his teammates and media. He has YouTube clips of media interviews in which he repeatedly acts fascinated by iPod’s placed on the table to record him. I love B-Easy, would have taken him number one even though he doesn’t really play defense and is kind of small. I am not sold on him as a small forward, but nonetheless he scores the basketball and will do so in the NBA.

Danilo Gallinari: I thought there was no way I would ever have Gallinari on my cool list, but how could I refuse to add someone nicknamed “The Rooster” and has his own Reebok shoes coming out. He answered every question from Steven A. Smith by saying I like to win, even though the fans of his new team were outrageously booing him. He has game similar to someone I know well as he is a lanky man that can shoot, drive the ball to the basket, and doesn’t necessarily love playing defense. I mean look at his hair, he is destined to save the New York Knickerbockers.

Kevin Love: Going to the Griz at number five and Kevin Love is pretty cool. Although his chin strap beard isn’t a favorite of mine, he always has it nicely lined up and his suit was pretty nice tonight too. Kev won me over with a great PTI interview the day before the draft, he answers questions actually and gives good cool answers. He is fat and slow, although he has built up while losing 15 pounds. He will be no Sean May because May I don’t think can dunk anymore. Kev does so many smart things on the court and somehow against more athletic players puts up great numbers. Projected to possibly be a flop, but I don’t think Kevin Love will let that happen.

Jason Thompson: Who? How did he go 15+ picks ahead of where he was supposed to go? He isn’t even there! What are the Kings thinking? Random players are always cool in my book and he is going to be starting next season because he is going to absolutely beast Mikki Moore, Brad Miller, Shelden Williams, Lorenzen Wright, and Spencer Hawes all day every day, and actually bring toughness to the Kings who practically no one cares about or is actually a fan of. On one web site he is projected to be at best the next Mark Blount, that sucks. He went to Rider which no one has ever heard of, because Isiah “J.R.” Rider founded it. I really think he will actually be kind of good, but he is the surprise of the draft so far, by far.

No comments: